7 Issues to Consider When Sellling Your House without a Real Estate Agent
Photo copyright 2010 Kathryn Acciari
In any real estate market, it is quite common to find those home owners who wish to sell their home without the assistance of a real estate professional. This is understandable. After all, hiring a real estate agent (or any professional for that matter) costs money. And sometimes it is possible to sell your home without the help of a real estate agent.
If you are one of the home owners who wants to try to go it alone, please first consider the following points and make sure you know the answers to all of these questions. Educating yourself will help your home sale go much more smoothly:
1. Pricing: Do you have access to current, accurate data that will help you set a competitive market price for your home? Do you know how to adjust your price for features your home has that others do not?
2. Marketing and Advertising: Have you set aside funds to allow for a complete marketing campaign that will reach the largest amount of potential buyers possible? Have you budgeted for signs, ads, and placement on Internet real estate sites? Does your marketing plan have international reach?
3. Screening Calls from Buyers: Do you know what questions to ask in order to make sure that buyers coming to see your home are financially qualified to buy it? Do you have a plan to keep your house and family safe and secure while advertising and showing your property?
4. Showings: Are you available to show your house to buyers from 9 AM to 7 PM every day, including weekends?
5. Contracts and Negotiations: Do you know the meaning of the terms on an offer to purchase? How about a purchase and sale agreement? Do you know the points of the contract that protect the buyer, and those which protect the seller? Can you comfortably handle the conflict between your interests and those of the buyers?
6. Financing: Are you familiar with the current mortgage programs available for buyers in this market? Do you know what options you have in regard to the buyers' financing?
7. Timeframe: Are you flexible in terms of your target sale date? Are you willing to have your house on the market for an extended period of time? Are you aware of town and state deadlines for such requirements as septic system inspection, smoke detector inspection, and carbon monoxide detector inspection?
If you would like more information on selling your home, why don't you give me a call? It will be my pleasure to help.
Putting Today's Technology Tools to Work for You
Text and photos copyright Kathryn J. Acciari unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
Kathryn Acciari, RSPS, SRS, RESE, CFA
Century 21 MetroWest
45 Lyman Street Suite 14
Westborough MA 01581
Serving the Route 9/20 Corridors of Central Massachusetts
Sturbridge to Westborough
Cell: (508) 982-0686