If you are selling your home and find yourself short on time before a showing, below is a list of the top 12 steps to take before you leave the house. Thanks to Richard and Beth Witt at RE/MAX Wittney in Long Island, NY, for providing this fantastic post!
Preparing For A showing
It is very important that your home shows well. Develop a routine that will allow you to pick up and be prepared to show in a reasonable period without duress. This means that certain things must be done in advance. Beds should be made first thing in the morning and dirty dishes should never be left in the sink. Keeping everything in its place will allow for you to prepare for each showing in an organized, hassle free routine.
Here are 12 things you should do before each showing:
1. Pick up every room - Check counters, floors, halls and stairs. Straighten up or remove newspapers, Magazines, mail, toys clothing, recreation gear, snack glasses and dishes.
2. Turn on all lights - even those in closets and storage rooms. Electric lights have an amazing capability for creating an illusion of lightness and largeness.
3. Make up the beds, neatly and attractively, early in the morning. This is a job that you don't want to have to do when you learn the buyers will be there within the hour. Open all drapes, shades, and blinds.
4. The Kitchen - Be sure all counter tops are clear and "squeaky clean". Wipe down appliances. Be sure all dishes are in the dishwasher or cleaned and put away. The sink should be clear and clean.
5. Clean Air - Keep air fresheners in closets, bathrooms and kitchen. Be especially careful to keep kitchen odors fresh. Coffee brewing or a cake baking in the oven have a lasting, inviting effect. Scented candles or potpourri are also most inviting.
6. Music, music, music - Perhaps you can't have something baking in the oven every time, but soft, pleasant background music may be very effective. Shut off all televisions!
7. Fireplace - When appropriate light a fire in your fireplace. A warm, cozy fire may be just the right touch.
8. The Bathrooms - Bathrooms should be spotless and odor free. Be sure towels are clean and folded.
9. The Entryway - It's the first and last impression that your buyers will have of your home, make it a good one!
10. Pets - Have all pets, confined or out of the house while it is being shown. If your home has a pet odor see your local pet store for a cure.
11. Home Temperature - Make sure the home's temperature is neither to hot nor to cold.
12. Keep yourself as well as all family members away from the agent while the home is being shown. The buyers have a more positive experience when they are positioned to freely experience and express their honest feelings about the property with their agent.
Top Blogs and Valuable Articles:
- 5 THINGS SELLERS MUST REQUIRE OF A REAL ESTATE AGENT
- HOME STAGING IS NOT A SUBSTITUTE FOR PROPER PRICING
- IT'S A PRICE WAR AND A BEAUTY CONTEST
- THE WORST HOME SELLING MISTAKES
- AGENT TRAINING AND COACHING
- HOME BUYING MADE EASIER
CALL US TODAY TO GET YOUR HOME SOLD 516-795-6900
Or Visit us for Agent Training and Coaching
Putting Today's Technology Tools to Work for You
Text and photos copyright Kathryn J. Acciari unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
Kathryn Acciari, RSPS, SRS, RESE, CFA
Century 21 MetroWest
45 Lyman Street Suite 14
Westborough MA 01581
Serving the Route 9/20 Corridors of Central Massachusetts
Sturbridge to Westborough
Cell: (508) 982-0686