If you are in town this weekend and looking for something to do, here are some ideas for fun in beautiful Sturbridge, Massachusetts:
Friday, May 22
1. The most exciting event tonight is the boxing show put on by the Massachusetts State Police. Boxers from Massachusetts, New York, Denver, and even the UK will be coming to town to compete. The event will be held at the Sturbridge Host Hotel, starting at 7 PM.
2. Waterfront dining. This will be the perfect night to enjoy dinner and drinks at the outside bar on Cedar Lake at the Oxhead Tavern, Main Street/Route 20, next to the Sturbridge Host Hotel.
3. Happy hour on the deck. Don't miss happy hour on Admiral T.J. O'Brien's deck. Stay for a fish fry, too.
Saturday, Sunday, and Monday - May 23, 24 and 25
1. Wool Days at Old Sturbridge Village (OSV). Memorial Day Weekend is traditionally the time of year that the sheep at OSV get sheared. The interpreters at the Village will explain the entire wool textile process, from shearing to weaving.
Other weekend activities at OSV include stagecoach rides, boat rides, musket firing, 19th Century dance, and many hands-on exhibits. OSV will also officially be opening its newest permanent exhibit, Farm, Families and Change: New England Farming and Rural Life. Visit for a day or two to get your fix of life in the 1830's.
2. Kickoff of "Cover the Bases" Contest. Four family favorites are participating in this contest, which runs from Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day weekend. Visit Old Sturbridge Village, the Worcester Tornadoes, the Higgins Armory Museum, and the EcoTarium. Get your game card stamped at each venue, and submit it to win one of any number of prizes.
Monday, May 25
1. Memorial Day Parade, starting at 9:25 AM, at the corner of Routes 20 and 148. See Parade Schedule.
2. Continued activities at Old Sturbridge Village.
3. Boating. The weather forecast looks great for boaters and fishermen. Put in at any of the numerous lakes and ponds and enjoy a peaceful day.
For more upcoming events in Sturbridge, see my web site at AskMeAboutSturbridge.com
- Kathryn Acciari
Putting Today's Technology Tools to Work for You
Text and photos copyright Kathryn J. Acciari unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved.
Kathryn Acciari, RSPS, SRS, RESE, CFA
Serving the Route 9/20 Corridors of Central Massachusetts
Sturbridge to Westborough
Cell: (508) 982-0686